7 Tips For Creating A Valuable Persuasive Speech
Persuasion is very powerful and when you do it well, it’s a win for your business, audience, and a win for making the world a bit better one presentation at a time.
A persuasive speech is a speech intended to convince the audience to do something. These speeches are an effective way to sway your audience. Whether you want to get people to go vote, stop a bad habit, or change their minds about an important issue, your speech can be incredibly valuable.
Tips For Creating A Valuable Persuasive Speech
- Create A Story That Catches Attention. Before you can begin persuading your audience, you need to open the speech in a way that will make them want to pay attention. Make the story relatable to everyone involved. This can help relax the mood in the room, especially if you are dealing with a group that may be opposed to your idea.
- Know Your Audience. This means it’s time for research. Before you even think about typing or practicing a word of your presentation, you’ve got to spend time getting to know the audience. Find common ground. Speak in a way that makes them feel like you are individually addressing them. This will raise your credibility and show that you’ve done your homework in advance.
- Practice. Your conviction is key to making people believe you. Take time to practice your delivery so that you don’t lose your train of thought or waver in your voice. Ask those important people in your life to listen while you practice and give you feedback. Practice enough that you know your speech inside and out.
- Eye Contact. Connect with your audience through eye contact. Scan the room and connect for short amounts of time. This is key for connecting with people and can be very persuasive.
- Repeat Your Main Points And Be Clear. After explaining each of your handful of primary points, go back and explain them again. Speak in a slow and measured way as repetition will help drive home your goals. Be clear on the results your audience should expect, it’s easier to persuade when they know exactly how it will impact their lives.
- Offer Evidence And Resolutions To Obstacles. Use credible sources and real-life situations from your research to back the points you are making. Think carefully about the challenges to your idea that are likely to come from members of your audience. Address how your solution will meet the goals of all involved.
- Finish Strong And Accept Questions And Feedback. Using strong closing lines are important if you want your audience to take actions. This as an opportunity to reinforce the way your main points support your call to action. The end of your talk is automatically a focal point for your audience, don’t be afraid to ask the audience to participate Listen intently to audience questions and offer resources.
Persuasive speech is a specific type of speech that is delivered with a purpose. The speaker communicates with an audience to accomplish specific goals, it’s a communication that intends to bring about a change in others.
Knowing how to convince people of your perspective is a valuable and important skill both in informal and personal situations.
Contact us to view services and to schedule an appointment!