We have all been in the position where we feel nervous, anxious and uncomfortable before speaking to an audience. Public speaking can rank right up there with things that people don’t generally enjoy very much.
Regardless of where or to whom we have to speak in front of, the challenge can be daunting but don’t leave it to chance, take a moment to review these simple tips.
6 Simple Tips For Giving An Amazing Presentation
- Journal Your Experiences. Let’s be honest, it is easy to forget what we had for breakfast each day, let alone good ideas, experiences, and good stories. With public speaking, it can be very beneficial to base some of what you say on your own experience. Use a simple notebook or tablet and download all of your important thoughts, daily ideas and experiences to use as data. Then when your gathering information for a presentation you can pull from the data to make your speech personal and from those experiences. Simply spend even 10 minutes a day logging your thoughts and take note of one thing you have learned that day.
- Get The Audiences Attention. If your preparing to give a great speech, you know that you want eyes and ears of the audience on you. Ask yourself what do you want the audience to understand, feel and know after your speech and then use the answers to choreograph your words. Use emotion to tell your story, establish trust and convince the audience to respond to your call of action.
- Make The Beginning Count. Simply put, first impressions do matter. Your speech often will be defined by the first words you speak. Starting out strong will tell the audience what they can expect from the rest of your speech as well as who you are and what you are expecting of them as you move forward. Write your speech, practice it and then make adjustments to be sure the beginning of your presentation is strong!
- Relax. Learning to relax is critical even if you’re an experienced public speaker. It is uncomfortable to watch or listen to someone who obviously appears uncomfortable, even if what they’re saying might be useful. Consider deep breathing techniques, listening to your favorite music or a short walk can go along way towards making you look like a natural.
- Be The Picture Of Confidence. Even if are standing at the microphone and your stomach is in knots, if you feel out of place, and your legs are shaking, try your best to find a way to project confidence instead. Use the appropriate eye contact, project your voice, and gesture comfortably so that you appear relaxed. When you approaching your topic with confidence, then it will maximize the audiences willingness to pay close attention.
- Be Yourself. If nothing else be the best you that you can be. Be prompt, greet your audience with a warm smile, and take a few moments to connect before you begin speaking. Concentrate on your own unique strengths, identify what you do well, and always let your natural skills and talent shine.
Giving an outstanding speech is an amazing opportunity. While it may feel like intense pressure to be the one presenting just know that if you are well prepared, you learn to relax and are yourself, then odds are good you’ll deliver your best speech yet! Take these tips and incorporate them into your presentation arsenal!